Project by Francesca D’Annunzio
Head of the Cultural Association Histonium
The project Cultural Tour in the historic center of Vasto is positioned in the various activities to promote the area carried out by the Histonium Association.
The Association has been working for some years in the field of the promotion and development of the city of Vasto, taking part in several cultural, recreational and gastronomic initiatives and collaborating with various public and private entities.
The tourist food and wine itinerary, designed by the Association with the intention to accompany the visitor along a path that is not just to visit, but also for discovery, for education and knowledge, has the purpose of:
• Value and promote the sites, monuments and archaeological evidences of the old town through their historical and artistic aspects, linking also to the monument or site the folk stories and tales in order to make the visit less academic and more enjoyable;
• Value and promote the flavours of our land by combining flavours-places-events-traditions;
• Value the historic centre as a place with a strong identity and great power of attraction;
• Take into account, alongside the traditional artistic, architectural and archaeological heritage, aspects of local identity, such as resources and food traditions, crafts and typical local products, folk festivals and traditional religious rituals;
• Enriching the tourist and cultural offer of the city;
• Involve citizens and other groups of users, facilitating the identification and cultural aggregation of the local community.
The sites involved in the Cultural Tour project in the historic centre of Vasto are in order:
• The Caldoresco Castle;
• Rossetti square;
• Ambling Lodge;
• The church of Santa Maria Maggiore;
• The Cathedral of St. Joseph;
• D’Avalos Palace;
• Portal of St. Peter;
• Roman Baths and archaeological promenade;
• New door arch;
• Roma Bar (final aperitif).
The period of the “cultural tour in the historical centre of Vasto” is from 1st June 2013 to 31 August 2013.
On request by the tourism associations (hotels, campsites, B&Bs, restaurants, beach resorts) with a minimum of visitors of n. 10, which will be held on Tuesdays and Fridays.